Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Reflection 5: Game Play

YES!  I finally feel as though I am making progress.

I am starting to flesh out some of the modules and making notes within to help guide the content development.

If we can just get the content in, then we can create activities...and at the end I can weave in the narrative...

We have a lot of information through which to sift, and, while I have been reading for a year, Jenny has not, so she is catching up. We have still not decided how exactly to integrate readings and have discussed several options.


For the moment, organization is key.

We have now set up a Gamitopia Library to house all documents and a Gamitopia theater to house all videos. We are in the process of dividing the Library into topical sections and will eventually do the same with the Theater.

My technique has been to upload files directly into the library as I find them, organizing as I go along, but I still have almost two dozen files that are not yet organized.  Our thought is that some files (peer-reviewed articles actually) will likely appear in several topical sections..so we will both set up topical sections according to our outline assignments.

We have created - as a draft - some looped quests, i.e., assignments that build upon each other, linking several topics together.  Now we just need to copy those quests as a draft into the proper towns as part of the organization.

Terms that were originally going to comprise their own town (Verbiage) are now going to be integrated throughout the towns.

Individualization is also an issue we are keeping at the forefront, being sure to provide examples, readings, and quests for K-12 HIED, and business. Trying to make sure everyone produces a quality assignment at the end - whether they plan to merely integrate a few game elements into a class, gamify a unit in a course, gamify an entire course, gamify professional development training, or gamify a business website.....Trying to develop an equal  assignment is difficult...

I am very pleased with the progress I have made in the Towne of Histoire. I have learning objectives and have created content on a variety of topics and am now ready to enter 20th and 21st century game history.... I am considering having only a Guildchat...or maybe a  Padlet....for players to complete before leaving Histoire  as I want them to reflect upon games  - how they have changed, how they haven't changed, and how they have been used in the past....paving the way for future towns and for their own use of gamification. I want them to see that games have been used to educate and train for centuries......

...so there really is very little new......



My action plan?

Finish Histoire ..... then move on to Gaming Towne (types of games) while continuing to organize the Library...and continue to make notes in other towns...



No comments:

Post a Comment