Thursday, April 28, 2016

Learning Points and Plans

The last 15 or so weeks of course development have been quite illuminating.

We created a framework - a course skeleton - divided according to our interests and areas of expertise. Within that framework we added notes and readings.

We charted out a loose Welcome just to see what would be needed...and to serve as a depository for notes until the end of development when we flesh out the Welcome in detail.

The Towne of Histore is completed finished -only needing narrative that will be added at the end.

Gaming Towne is under development and is coming along very nicely.

I have discovered - not that I didn't know this before but more of a reaffirmation - that I create by using a loose topical outline, filing notes and items within each topic, but start course development at the beginning and work to the end to be sure I see how everything within a module unfolds before leaving and moving elsewhere.  I simply cannot function by developing several modules at once.  finishing what I start allows me to move on.  While I knew this before, I had forgotten it. Ideas come to me, for example, on the Gamifi-what...and I make notes, but I cannot start without finishing what comes before.

Plans....

Since I mentioned it...Gamifi -what is where I will introduce the term gamification, starting to drive home the differences between gamification and using games. I will create a video for this, detailing a variety of gamification examples, just to tease student interests fo a later town.

I have located a software that will allow us to create a map of Gamitopia......

(I have been asked by a colleague to provide assistance to help him find simulations he can use in the classroom - a little off topic, but very important.)

Having given up on there actually being a text we could use entirely I have accepted that we will  write content for the entire course.... and craft several videos of our own....

Finishing is not a question - we will finish.  We have already accomplished a lot, and will continue to move forward with the goal of having this ready by Jan 1, 2017, for piloting and teaching by summer 2017.

This has been a great deal of fun - and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment